Dear Daffodils: Home, Orla Kiely Book Review

Thursday 16 January 2014

Home, Orla Kiely Book Review


I'm a big fan of Orla Kiely because of her fashion design and the patterns she uses too. The patterns Orla Kiely uses often hark back to the past and remind us of the 1950s-1970s, but with a contemporary and fresh twist. I'm already the proud owner of the Pattern book and when I found this book I knew I had to have a read.


Her home book features lots of big and beautiful photographs of interiors and decor. The book begins with discussions on her patterns and style and then a chapter on her own home which is inspirational and definitely reflects Orla's designs! It is not just a book on herself though, as the bulk of the book are chapters on case studies of other modernist houses across the globe. Each photograph is accompanied with a caption of Orla commenting on the colours, shape, history or design process. Very insightful!


If you're a fan of retro furniture and design from the mid-century then I'd definitely recommend this book! I'm a big vintage fan and find that the book is a treat for my eyes. Once you've flicked through it a few times and have satisfied your need of looking at the photos, you start reading and find out many interesting facts about the houses that Orla Kiely has studied. The book is great if you're an Orla Kiely fan, however there are only a few chapters on her own work and it is more of a display of admiration for modernism. 


The book is quite a big one, so I wouldn't recommend carrying it around in your handbag, however the cover is beautifully covered in one of Orla Kiely's iconic patterns and would look beautiful on a coffee table or on your book shelf. Get this book if you're fascinated in retro design or interiors.

Are you a fan of Orla Kiely? What about retro furnishings and decor?

Don't forget to follow me via Bloglovin'!
Thanks for reading. ♥   

No comments:

Post a Comment